Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Preparing Your Closet for the Winter Season

You know you need to clean things out when you find 2 of the exact same shirts.  This happens a lot when things are tightly squeezed together.  I try to purge every few months.  My creative side is so much happier after my closet is cleaned. 
I was able to find 4 pairs of shoes I could donate.  My husband would disagree with me about this but I don't have THAT many pairs of shoes/boots.  I really don't.  I am super hard on my shoes and really wear them out by the end of the year.  I only have one new pair of boots this year which are EMU and I love them.  The real key is to be able to shop for shoes that will withstand a few seasons and are comfortable.    Ladies, don't buy shoes you can't stand to be in more than a few minutes.  It is SO NOT WORTH IT.  Just because they're expensive doesn't mean they will be comfy too.  If you buy on line, read the comments.  I've done this many times and it helps tremendously.

It took me about 3 hours to clean tonight.  I have about 3 loads of my laundry to clean and put away.  Did you know you can find some strange things in your closet?  Tonight I found my daughters two teeth she lost recently.  What do I do with them?  I guess they can stay in my jewelry box for now. 
Focus on the current season when purging.  If you can clean some old sweaters or boots out, it will free up some space for new Winter clothes.  Most of my Summer is put away in a couple of drawers.  Plus, this Summer was short in the Northwest, I didn't buy too many things.
Try to hang all your clothes in your closet.  If you fold or put in a drawer they will be forgotten.  The only things I don't hang are my workout clothes and lingerie.  Even your jewelry will be worn more if the pieces are visible.
On a more personal note, I have a few things that will never leave my closet.  A bright striped robe hangs on my closet door greeting me every day.  A reminder of my dad who died in March.  Sometimes it brings me to tears but other times it just sits.  I also have a few flannel shirts of his hanging proudly with my other clothes .  I try not to think of them every time I'm in there but at times it's nice to remember him wearing them.  Since tomorrow is Thanksgiving and in a few weeks will be Christmas, I will soon be thinking of him in his red plaid flannel shirts he loved.   

5 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing Janna, and inspiring me to tackle my closet...I'm just too scared that I will get rid of half of it and not being to 'refill' it :( So maybe it won't happen just yet..haha. I know what you mean about the things of your dads. I have, in my closet, my moms roper riding boots and her black suede chaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know one day you will tell me you tackled it. Or better yet, you will want me to do it. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a lot of people having a keepsake in their closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had a closet as big as yours I would hang everything too. But alas, my house was built before the advent of walk-in closets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a walk-in closet does make it easier to hang more clothes. I still have a drawer full of scarves that need to be visible. Being able to put Summer things in another closet or drawers would help give you more room for Winter items. I think you have a great storage place for shoes in your closet.

    ReplyDelete